Tuesday, March 25, 2008

The Senses


Hello world of people who care about us!

Thanks for reading by the way, and thanks for your comments. It's extremely (overly?) exciting for us to find there is a new comment on our blog...it makes us feel loved.

So, one of my dear friends wrote me an email asking about what we are eating, what it smells like, what it sounds like, etc, etc...so here it is...THE SENSES Blog...

I am writing this from our apartment. It's 8 am and there is a sweet ocean breeze flowing through the room. Lane just returned home from his morning run dripping with sweat. I "slept in" till 7.
We can almost constantly hear cars zooming by in the distance on their way to the beach, and just in case we EVER forget we are Brazil, there is the occasional "stereo truck" to remind us where we are. Picture it... a truck covered in huge speakers which creeps slowly through neighborhoods sporting a guy on a microphone making live, um, "announcements" of sorts, yelling at us, really. It's ridiculously loud, and we often comment about how long that would fly in Portland (ha!), where even the silent IKEA display trucks seem slightly offensive to our advertising sensitive selves! Here...it's just part of life. And on Sundays, if we are lucky, we can catch a glimpse of the old man who, wearing a full suit, hat and sunglasses (it's like, 95 degrees mind you), walks slowly down the streets pushing a "stereo cart"....seems he is spreading the word of god REALLY loud through REALLY bad speakers. Never a dull moment.

On to food...we are consuming a year's worth of tropical fruit in our four months here, getting it while it's cheap, ripe and local. If we only had a compost pile! We are also getting our fill of "agua de cocos," hands down, the most perfect thirst quenching beverage around. And on our tiny burners in our tiny kitchen, Lane is quite good at cooking beans, eggs, and newly on the scene...grilled cheese. Unfortunately, I still burn most things... When we venture OUT to eat, it usually involves carefully choosing items off a "self service" buffet. At the end of the line, we weigh our plates of food and pay by the kilo. Before we knew any better, we had some shocking moments at the scale, wide eyed, with bowls full of REALLY expensive ice cream and sushi! Of course now we are savvy buffet diners...choosing "lightly." All in all, the most plentiful and easily available food items involve meat, bread and sugar. Yikes! The exact items I usually try and avoid.

Which leads me to tell you about my latest love of....AEROBICS! Yes, it's true, I came all the way to beautiful exotic Brazil, and what did I do? I joined the gym!! To be honest, it has been my saving grace on multiple levels. My nightly trips to the land of spandex and techno music are not only keeping me healthy, but they are giving me something to DO when Lane disappears to his teacher's house most evenings. Can you picture me? Yes, I'm the tall gringa in the back trying to keep up with the Brazilian ladies as the teacher shouts out commands in Portuguese, competing of course with the SUPER loud (it's a theme here) American music. "Bridge Over Troubled Water" set to techno beats?? What! I love it and the whole scene makes me laugh. I usually do about three classes every night, some combination of step aerobics, yoga, "super shape," "super mix" "aero fight," and possibly the most hilarious...the mini trampoline class. Happily, I've made a couple of "friends" there who graciously listen to me as I attempt to communicate in Portuguese. It's sweet.

Was that a detour from "the senses?" Maybe not.

On to the weather!!! I'm SENSING that the weather here in Brazil in shifting. Just like it is starting to feel like Spring in Portland (I hear), it is starting to feel like a Brazilian version of Fall. It can no longer be assumed that every day will be endlessly sunny and overly hot. In fact, it's quite cloudy at the moment, and feels like it just might rain. Yay! (I'm such a Portlander). But seriously, the shift to slightly cooler temperatures and the occasional tropical downpour is just fine with me and my perpetually sunburned skin.

To end, another slight detour from the senses theme, but a good story none the less. Yesterday we were invited to volunteer at a publicly funded (they are rare) language school. We were enthusiastically greeted by Fatima, the teacher, and led into a stark windowless classroom. There, we found about ten ladies, ages ranging from 20ish to 60ish, sitting nervously in their desks. We sat up front with the teacher and were prompted to...."speak English". OK, I can do this! Eventually, the slight awkwardness of it all wore off, and we got into a flow asking and answering questions about where we were from, our professions (they guessed Lane was a guitar player), our religions (!), and our musical tastes. It was really fun and also extremely rewarding to give something of ourselves back to people here. We are planning to return today and hopefully a few more times before we pack up and move to Salvador (11 days from now...very exciting).

That's all for now folks. Here are some of my latest creations...

5 comments:

Erin said...

OK, you left out an very important SENSE experience, specifically, What color is YOUR spandex??! Knowing that will complete my image of you at the gym! Thanks for the walk through your smells, sounds, tastes, etc. Right now I smell the re-warmed pizza with wheat-free crust I made with friends a few days ago I'll eat for lunch, I see Mabel curled in a little black and white ball in her cat bed on my desk, and I can hear some birds outside! Through the closed window! Spring in Minnesota...

Unknown said...

Woot! let's hear it for the senses. Here are my senses: drinking wine in my fleece pj's (feeling of comfort) after clinic my muscles are soar so there is a heating pad around my neck. The weather in Toronto is below 0 STILL. outside my apt is.....nothing (cause everyone is inside!!) I'm sort of studying the endocrine system (let's hear it for hormones!!)
Been dreaming of being in Brazil with you both.
I would put on spandex and work-out three times a day just to spend time with you
:)
Thrilled to hear you're enlightening students. That must feel goooooood
Give the old man some shorts!

Doble

lindasmith said...

Ahhhh...the adventure continues! It was great hearing from you--loved the "new creations" and hope to see some of them"in person" soon. The video was special because I got to hear your voices!
Love you all mucho and think of you every day.
Mom

Carson and Melissa said...

yay!
it's nice to get a little window into what your days are like!

we had a balinese man (he called himself a bali monkey) climb a coconut tree for us a couple of weeks ago to give us a fresh coconut (we love that agua de coco too!)

thanks for the new views of your beautiful art too!
love,
melissa

theotherfreq said...

I love your new paintings. And I miss you too..have you figured out the skype thing. I also do ichat if you have it. Its free.
kisses hugs
and a heart full o love
cristina